Inside: Teaching about Martin Luther King Jr. in Spanish class and celebrating Black History Month in Spanish class with a focus on Afro-Latinxs. Embrace the diversity of the Spanish-speaking world with your students with a focus on social justice. Afro-Latinx Resources for all year in Spanish class.
**Note this should not be the only time of year to discuss diverse voices in Spanish class, but it is a great chance to spend time highlighting the diversity of the Spanish-speaking world as well as focus on social justice.
Martin Luther King Jr. in Spanish Class
First, in January the perfect thing to talk about is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Typically my Spanish 2 class spends February reading the novel Felipe Alou, which ties into civil rights and MLK. Also, there is an MLK slideshow in the teacher guide that I typically use. Additionally, to honor his legacy your classes could participate in a day of service. Finally, below are other resources to celebrate the life and legacy of MLK.
- Celebrate MLK in Spanish Class– Fun for Spanish Teachers
- Teaching Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Slideshow in basic Spanish – Sara Broussard
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day – resources for Spanish class – Zambombazo Zachary Jones
Teach for Justice in Spanish Class
Also, this year more than ever there is a need to teach with a social justice focus. Here are a couple of Free resources from others for Spanish class. It is also worth noting that January 31st is the start of Black Lives Matter at School Week.
Black History Month in Spanish Class
As well as incorporating diverse voices all year long, February is the perfect time to specifically celebrate Afro-Latinxs during Black History Month. I know that BHM technically is celebrating African Americans, but as a Spanish teacher, I try to expose my students to a variety of ethnicities through the Spanish-speaking world.
Spanish Class Music for Black History Month
My favorite way to introduce culture is always with music, so I created a slideshow to show and celebrate Afro-Latinx musical artists. The 1st version had classics like Celia Cruz and Susana Baca, mixed with current hitmakers like Choquibtown and Tego Calderon.
Plus, there is 2nd version with 22 more songs, including many recent hits & a 3rd version & now a version 4 Also, there is a Bundle option as well for the best deal.
The original Afro-Latinx music slides are now completely new for 2024. They include 22 new songs, plus the original 22 song as a bonus.
Resources for Afro-Latinx representation for Black History Month & Beyond
- Incorporating Afro-Latino Culture in Spanish Classrooms– Facebook Group from Afro-Latina Teacher Jenniffer Whyte
- How to Incorporate Afro-Latino Culture in the Spanish Classroom– La Secundaria Jade Greene
- Ser Afro Latino – Blog post & resources from Laura Sexton
- Spanish Black History Month Resources – Spanish Playground
- 20 Free Afro-Mexica Resources – Afro-Latina Teacher
- Latinx History is Black History – Webinar for teachers to watch from Learning for Justice
Afro-Latinx Interpretive Reading Resources
- Las Voces Diversas de la Diásporafrom Kia London & A.C. Quintero
- El mensaje– comprehensible reader from A.C. Quintero
- Lectura de Afro-Latinos (free) – Holy Frijoles
- Puzzle: Qué significa afrolatino – Free Black History Month Wordoku– Comprehensible Classroom
Afro-Latinx Interpretive Listening Resources
Videos below as well
Spanglish spoken word from Elizabeth Acevedo
What Afro-Latinos Want You To Know – Spanglish
Longer video in English
El pelo afro NO SE TOCA – Video in Spanish
Finally, here are other ideas for this time of year
- 1st Day After Winter Break for Spanish
- Carnaval in Spanish Class 2024
- Valentine’s Day in Spanish class
- 10 Spanish Class Love Songs
- February in Spanish class – Black History Month, Winter Olympics 2022 & Valentine’s Day
- lista lunes: March in Spanish class
- mania musical de marzo – March Music Madness in Spanish class
- Spring Break Chat in Spanish Class
Other Resources to diversify Spanish Class
- Asian Pacific Heritage Month Asian-Latinx Resources
- Indigenous Peoples in Spanish class
- Pride in Spanish class
What resources do you have as well? Please share links!
originally posted 1.13.19 by Allison Wienhold most recently updated 11.30.23