It is about that time of year that everything is all Mania Musical or March Music brackets. This is my sixth year doing an all-class March music bracket competition. I know there are MANY variations by many different teachers who are desperate to spice up a dreary time of year.
Mania musical over the years
- Mania Musical 2020 (Winner – Querer Mejor)
- bracket for younger students 20! By request, I created a new bracket for upper elementary, middle or conservative high school Spanish. It has options of full 16 songs or a 1/2 8 song bracket for classes that do not meet as often. Also, the bracket contains songs from a variety of years, as recommended by elementary Spanish teachers. It is not included in the growing bracket, since I figured there would be two different audiences of teachers who would be interested. Finally, Get it here! or get the new 2021 bracket here!
- 2019 current at the time. (Winner – Loca)
- Mania musical de Mujeres 2018 – The 2018 bracket was all about the ladies! All songs are from female singers or groups with female leads, to tie in with Women’s History Month. (Winner – Asi Soy – from the Greatest Showman)
Older mania musical brackets
- Hispanic Heritage – To mix up the fall, we did a Hispanic Heritage bracket with one song from each Spanish-speaking country. (Winner fall 2017 – La Gozadera)
- March Bracket 2017 – Then my hs assistants were less particular and the actual bracket was not up to my OCD standards. (I have to learn to Let It Go…plus I am not sure who won that year).
- Music Bracket 2016 – Next I added an organized slide show for more organization (Winner – Danza Kuduro – Don Omar)
- April Bracket 2016 – Then, due to a switch of Trimesters, many did not get to vote in round 1, so we kept up the same bracket & just put in new songs (Winner – Waka Waka – Shakira)
- Music Bracket 2015 – Finally, my 1st bracket was quickly drawn on a chalkboard. (Winner Juntos – Juanes)
A Tradition Each year
If this is something you would like to do in class multiple years download the growing Bracket Bundle here. It is updated to include 7 separate brackets (March 16, April 16, March 17, March 18, March 19, March 2020 & Brand New 2021! The new one includes an editable slide show with embedded videos, brackets & bulletin board for each. If you already have it, make sure to download the new version. My plan is to keep adding my brackets each year to this bundle.
How I Implement March Music Brackets in Spanish Class
I post the playlist, bracket, and voting forms on Google Classroom. It is a class starter or brain break, students will vote each day. We usually start by watching them as a class at the start of class or as a brain break. Once we have moved past round one, students could re-watch them on their own if needed and vote. Additionally, in later rounds, we could go deeper with songs as well if time allows.