It is about that time of year that everything is all Mania Musical or March Music brackets. This is my eighth year doing an all-class March music bracket competition. I know there are MANY variations by many different teachers who are desperate to spice up a dreary time of year.
How to Use Music Brackets?
NEW in 2022! Are you more of a video watcher, than a blog reader, watch this short video to learn all about how you can use music brackets. >> Music Bracket FAQ Video!
March Music Brackets for Spanish Class 2022
- Brand New Mania Musical 2022– all current songs!
- YOUNG Brand New Mania Musical 2022 – for Younger students! It has options of full 16 songs or a 1/2 8 song bracket for classes that do not meet as often. Also, the bracket contains songs from a variety of years, as recommended by elementary Spanish teachers.
- Get all young music brackets together here in this Young Music Bracket Bundle
Mania musical over the years
Also, here are my previous brackets, so you can see the evolution. It was not always a fancy astrobrights board for mania musical. I have learned a few things in the last few years. Here is our bracket evolution.
- Mania Musical 2020 (Winner – Querer Mejor)
- Mania musical de Mujeres 2018 – The 2018 bracket was all about the ladies! All songs are from female singers or groups with female leads, to tie in with Women’s History Month. (Winner – Asi Soy – from the Greatest Showman)
Older mania musical brackets
- Hispanic Heritage – Each year we do a Hispanic Heritage bracket with one song from each Spanish-speaking country. (Winner fall 2017 – La Gozadera)
- March Bracket 2017 – (I am not sure who won that year).
- Music Bracket 2016 – Next I added an organized slide show for more organization (Winner – Danza Kuduro – Don Omar)
- April Bracket 2016 – Then, due to a switch of Trimesters, many did not get to vote in round 1, so we kept up the same bracket & just put in new songs (Winner – Waka Waka – Shakira)
- Music Bracket 2015 – Finally, my 1st bracket was quickly drawn on a chalkboard. (Winner Juntos – Juanes)
A Fun Music Bracket Tradition Each year
If this is something you would like to do in class multiple years download the growing Bracket Bundle here. It is updated to include 8 separate brackets (March 16, April 16, March 17, March 18, March 19, March 2020, 2021 & Brand New Mania Musical 2022! The newest one includes an editable slide show with embedded videos, brackets, bulletin board & new ready made Google Forms for easy voting. If you already have the bundle, make sure to download the new version. My plan is to keep adding my brackets each year to this bundle.
**Or, if you want the best deal possible on all of Mis Clases Locas music resources all together, check out the Mega Music Bundle.
How to Implement March Music Brackets in Spanish Class
For logistics in 2022, use the resources found in my Brand New Mania Musical 2022. It includes all Google editable resources including a slideshow with artist nationalities, genres, and embedded videos, Pretty Digital bracket, NEW Google Forms for round 1 voting, large and small bulletin board printouts, and Youtube playlist.
Starting in March all classes watch and vote for one pairing each day. (Or you can start whenever you would like!) Then they will vote via Google form if I am on top of it, with this free voting form or old-fashioned tally on the board. Finally, to keep it easy for a department of one, all classes have the same bracket, and as a school decides who wins and moves on. This way on the giant bulletin board we can all follow along with who is winning.
I have always posted the playlist, bracket, and voting forms on Google Classroom. I used the bracket as a class starter or brain break. Students voted for one match up each day. We usually started by watching them as a class at the start of class or as a brain break. Once we have moved past round one, students could re-watch them on their own if needed and vote. Additionally, in later rounds, we could go deeper with songs as well if time allows. It takes 3 weeks if you do do songs each day.