This Vivo movie guide is designed for Spanish students while watching the film Vivo in Spanish class. It would be perfect for Spanish 1, Spanish 2, Spanish 3, Spanish 4, exploratory Spanish, or a Latin American culture class and can be found on Netflix. The differentiated options mean you could use variations of this one editable Google movie guide with all levels of Spanish you teach. The Afro-Latinx main characters make Vivo the perfect film to show for Black History Month or Hispanic Heritage Month.
- ✅ Page 1 – a character description chart with space to draw Vivo characters
- ✅ Page 2 – 15 comprehension questions about the film Vivo in ENGLISH OR
- ✅ Page 3 – 15 comprehension questions about the film Vivo in SPANISH to fill out while watching. (Pick which set of the same questions best fits your class level)
- ✅ Page 4 – 3 post-viewing discussion questions in SPANISH & character matching in novice SPANISH (The post-viewing sheet could be used as an assessment after watching the film).
- ✅ Keys for all four pages of the Vivo Movie guide as included as well.
- + A Bonus Character Introduction Slideshow can be found in this post.
The movie Vivo would be the perfect complement to a study of Cuba, music, and has the theme of teamwork. This Spanish class movie would be a good complement to a unit on Celia Cruz, a unit on music in Spanish class, and has Afro-Latinx representation. It is an appropriate animated musical with music by Lin-Manual Miranda and Gloria Estefan. It would be an appropriate movie to show during Hispanic Heritage Month or Black History Month.
This family-friendly, animated movie is rated PG and can be found on Netflix with a run time of 1 hour 35 minutes.
My own elementary-aged kids enjoyed the movie and I know of high schoolers who have as well. This movie could work for elementary to high school Spanish classes.
What audio and subtitles to use for the movie Vivo?
On Netflix, you can change both the audio and subtitles as needed. (When you change the audio to Spanish on this film the songs are in Spanish too!) As always, do what works best for your school and classes. Here is what I would personally do:
- Spanish audio & Spanish subtitles – upper-level students
- Spanish audio & English subtitles – novice-level students
- English audio – exploratory Spanish or culture class
This is an editable Google Drive Spanish Movie Guide resource!
What are other teachers say about this Vivo movie guide
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ I am using these movie guides for both my Novice 6-8 grade beginner Spanish classes and my Intermediate 6-8 Spanish class for students in our dual language program. For my novice students, I am using the English version of the questions and they are watching the movie in Spanish with English subtitles. For my intermediate students, I am using the Spanish questions and watching the movie in Spanish with Spanish subtitles. I am so thankful for these low-prep materials that I can use for 2 different levels! The movie is super cute and most of my students haven’t seen it yet since it just came out on Netflix. ¡¡Gracias!! 🙂 – Amy T
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ This guide was perfect. My students loved it. I have loved all of Mis Clases Locas materials that I have bought. – Irene S (Grades 9-12)
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ A big time saver! I love your movie guides, it helps my students stay focused and describe their ideas 🙂 A fun and great learning matter to enjoy a movie and continue to learn another language. Gracias! – Victoria M
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Great resource to go along with the movie at the end of the year when testing is completed. Thank you for sharing!— Amanda L.
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Great guide for my middle schoolers! They loved the movie, and I loved reading the answers to the questions.— Giovanna M.
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ I was able to use the English version for novice level, and the Spanish version for my more advanced students. The questions and character matching were excellent.— Kelly M.
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Fantastic! Homecoming week activity. Students are so not tuned into learning, but this caught their attention today!— Catherine W.
ACTFL World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- ✅ Interpretive Communication
- ✅ Presentational Communication
- ✅ Relating Cultural Practices to Perspectives
- ✅ Relating Cultural Products to Perspectives
- ✅ Acquiring Information and Diverse Perspectives
- ✅ Cultural Comparisons
Have difficulty with a file?
- You will find links to the Google Drive resources on the instructions page of the PDF Download
- Visit FAQs & Support for more support
⭐ Bundle up! For the best deal get the Movie Guide Bundle for Spanish Class
If you prefer a real person film for Black History Month, check out Pelotero Movie Guide for Spanish Class
- For more information & bonus activities Vivo in Spanish class blog post
- + Black History Month in Spanish class
- Sign up for my mailing list to get resources & inspiration delivered right to your inbox
Copyright © Mis Clases Locas
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.