Inside: Resources for teaching the novel El Silbón de Venezuela in Spanish class
I am so excited to finally get to teach El silbón de Venezuela for the last book of Spanish 1 this year. You can see all the novels I am using in each level in my Curriculum for Spanish 1-4 here. I purchased a class set El silbón de Venezuela a couple of years ago from my friend and fellow Iowan Craig Klein Dexemple and this is the first time I have used it as a full-class novel. Here are the resources I have gathered to prepare to teach the novel in Spanish 1.
Before reading the novel El Silbón
Ever since having a lot of success with reading a novel in one week in Spanish 1, I have been really front loading the culture and vocab before starting a novel. This helps students to read the novel quickly, already with the background information that will help them be successful. Here is my tentative plan for this novel, which will take a few weeks before we start the actual novel.
Before starting the novel we will be introducing legends of the Spanish speaking world with the Cucuy Unit from Martina Bex.
Intro a variety of versions of El Silbón
- El Silbón legend mini unit – from Martina Bex – a couple day mini unit which helps provide the background vocab of the legend with a parallel story.
- La leyenda de “El Silbón” activities from Craig of Spanish Cuentos and “El Silbón” short free reading from Craig
- El Silbón – novice version in Leyendas Impactantes – I might read the novice version of El Silbón in this reader out loud to students to give them another version of the legend.
- Intro Geography of Venezuela using this blog post with resources from Sra. Dentlinger including Geografía de Venezuela – Quizlet
- Como Los Vaqueros – song using Song Resource from Sra. Dentlinger & El Silbón 39 Festival Música Llanera
- (Plus I am choosing to wait to dig deeper into the current situation in Venezuela using these news articles until after finishing the book.)
More possible resources to prepare to teach the novel
- Lessons to prepare for El Silbón de Venezuela – blog post with resources from Sra. Dentlinger
- Song Resource for El Silbón de Venezuela: Como los vaqueros – from Sra. Dentlinger
- Venezuela: A Paradise in Hell (video)
Movie to Pair with El Silbón de Venezuela
Have you taught this novel? What resources have you used?
If you are looking for more ideas on how to teach with novels, check out How to Teach Comprehensible Spanish Books
This post has amazon affiliate links.