El gorila blanco de Guinea Española
Here is the description of El gorila blanco de Guinea Española from Spanish Cuentos.
Long ago local hunters capture
d a white baby gorilla in the jungles of Equatorial Guinea, a former Spanish colony in Africa. A rare and unusual creature, the little gorilla soon captured the hearts of gorilla experts doing field work in that country. Eventually sent to Barcelona, Spain, the white gorilla became an instant and adored icon in the city zoo.
Set in Spain and Equatorial Guinea, the only Spanish speaking African nation, El gorila blanco de Guinea Española features unique vocabulary and fascinating cognates. Besides this, the book explores themes such as conservation, colonialism, exploitation, and the persecution of the outcast.
Written in the present tense with vivid illustrations on every page, El gorila blanco de Guinea Española is a compelling and comprehensible novel for Novice level readers and above.
Who would enjoy the book?
What deeper themes are included?
Chapter by Chapter notes
- Guinea Equatorial – geography, products and exports, conflict of humans vs. animals
- 1964 Guinea Española – history, capture of animals
- Es Diferente – gorilas, albino animals, colorism, familia
- Frutas – comida, *warning kills animals with gun
- Persigue – capture of animals
- Casa – the city of Bata, sale of animals
- Nuevo nombre – comida, daily routine
- Barcelona – vet, medicina, Zoológico Colón, Barcelona, Spain
- Apartamento – familia, baby items
- Vacaciones – la Sagrada Familia, Guadi, Barcelona, el campo, la playa
- A year later – jaula, feelings
- famoso – exploitation of animals, feelings
- Africa – travel, jungle, weather
- 10 years later – countries in Africa, exploitation of animals
- Nueva familia – family, animal breeding, relationships,
- Adiós – aging animals, death