This is my 200th blog post!! I have been thinking for a while about how to celebrate this milestone, but can not seem to find the time to do anything as awesome as I did for my 100th post back in February. So instead, I am going to re share 100 resources for world language educators. Please share other great resources in the comments!
Top 10 Music Resources
- Billboard Latino – Check out top 100 for new songs for class
- Pandora – Stream music based on genre, artist or song
- Batanga – Free Spanish music streaming
- Latin Grammy Awards – listen to nominated music by genre
- Lyrics Training – Free online cloze activities to practice listening skills for songs in many languages with varying levels of difficulty
- Clozeline – Zachary Jones – Cloze activities & questions based on grammar focus
- Cancionero – Zachary Jones – Song activities centered around a theme
- Entrevista – Zachary Jones – Interview with musicians (the resources are so awesome it deserved 3 separate mentions!)
- Sharon Birch’s Music Pinterest Board & Music Database – she has all the best new music & the database can be sorted to find a song for any need
- Baile viernes – my most popular post to date shows you how to incorporate dance in class
10 Resources to Move Beyond the Textbook
- Teaching Spanish Thematic & Authentic – Kara Jacobs has entire upper level cultural units full of wonderful authentic resources.
- Teachers Pay Teachers – Buy lessons or whole units while supporting fellow teachers.
- TPRS Publishing – The amazing teachers guides provide a well rounded cultural unit.
- Amy Lenord’s Pinterest Boards – Every authentic resource you could ever want is neatly categorized on her boards by theme or topic
- The Comprehensible Classroom By Martina Bex – The storytelling units are amazing, complete and an affordable way to use comprehensible input lessons.
- Film in the Spanish Classroom – Resources to teach authentic Spanish films.
- Film Arobics – This site provides full movie units for purchase.
- Units for Spanish Class – Zachary Jones is the first place I go for ready to go activities using authentic sources.
- Jefferson County Public Schools – Here are great examples of planning WL curriculum outside of the framework of a textbook.
- Curriculum planning outside the textbook – Before you make the no textbook leap, check out great posts by Musicuentos on the topic.
5 Twitter Chats
- #langchat – WL teachers unite in my favorite PD – Thursday 7-8pm & Saturday 9-10am CST
- #spanstuchat – a great opportunity for Spanish students & teacher to practice – 1st & 3rd Tuesday of the month 8-9pm CST
- #iaedchat – Iowa (& other!) educators discuss issues important to us – Sunday 8-9pm CST
- #tlap – a super fast paced & lively chat about Dave Burgess’Teach Like a Pirate – Monday 8-9pm CST
- #ReflectiveTeacher – reflect with other teachers – Tuesday 6-7pm CST
World Language Blogs & Websites
- Amy Lenord – Amy the language coach inspires me to be a better teacher & person
- Aventuras Nuevas – Bethanie shares amazing and beautiful resources, including El Internado.
- Bryce Hedstrom – A website chock full of resources for TPRS
- El Mundo del Birch – Sharon has wonderful resources for music and teaching with novels.
- Embedded Reading – Resources and ideas of how to incorporate comprehensible reading in class.
- En français, SVP! – Wendy shares her honest struggles & journey as a young French teacher.
- Hearts for Teaching – Laurie shares CI resources like an old friend.
- Kristy Placido – Kristy shares TPRS resources as an expert author.
- La Clase de la Senora Dentlinger – I have had the great pleasure to meet this awesome fellow Iowan teacher with inspiring ideas for new units.
- Language Sensei – Even though Colleen teaches Japanese her ideas for communicating in class can easily be applied to any language class.
- Lugar Para Pensar – Andrea has fresh ideas for how to spice up a language class.
- Maris Hawkins – The most frequent WL blog poster always has a great tidbit or idea to share.
- Martina Bex – Martina has all the resources to become a Ci teacher
- MJ TPRS – Great resources for a CI teacher
- Musicuentos – The archives are like a treasure chest of great ideas that will challenge the way you think & teach.
- My generation of Polyglots – Here is the El Internado holy grail of resources
- señorita barragán – Crystal’s post about free reading in class convinced me to start my own class library.
- Somewhere to Share – Carrie Toth has a never ending supply of fun activities to complete with novels.
- Spanish Plans – Lots of resources and ideas for teaching Spanish
- Sra Spanglish – Laura is the expert on genius hour and project based learning in WL
- Teaching Spanish WIth Comprehensible Input – Cynthia has wonderful reading resources, especially with novels.
- Teaching Spanish Thematic & Authentic – Kara’s resources for her Culture & Civilization class are so great they deserve two spots on this list!
- The Creative Language Class – This is the first language blog I ever followed and my class uses so many of their routines including “La Bienvenida,” “Viernes Chant,” & “Friday Feedback.”
- Truquitos Chéveres Para la Clase de Español – There are always fun activities for holidays on this blog.
- Williamson CI & TPRS – Dustin is another one of my favorite sharers of resources for El Internado.
10 Must Have Apps/Websites
- Blog Lovin – This app is the game changer for becoming a regular blog reader.
- Twitter – The PD and resources shared on Twitter is something I wish I would have found sooner.
- Pinterest – Finding authentic resources and new blogs becomes an addiction on Pinterest.
- Google Classroom – The organization of classroom has made transitioning to a 1:1 school a breeze.
- YouTube – I use videos on a daily basis and love my baile viernes playlist.
- Kahoot – Create fun online quizzes or search from those that are public
- Duolingo – Free online/app practice of many languages.
- Trivia Crack – Play this fun game in many languages for Choice Homework
- Twitter Trends Map – Search through the trends in the country you are studying.
- Word Reference – The anti translator, with options and forums.
10 Great Authentic Websites
- Es Mas Cine – Videos, news, and photos about movies.
- ESPN Deportes – The perfect #authres to start a sports unit.
- El Corte Inglés – The Target of Spain is perfect for any kids of shopping unit.
- Meme Martes – Authentic memes with accompanying questions, perfect for Choice Real World Homework
- Immigrant Archive Project – short videos of real immigrants sharing their story
- University of Austin Spanish Proficiency Exercises – Native speaker clips are sorted by theme and task.
- Veinte Mundos – The online articles are on a variety of topics, with activities & videos.
- Univisión – The news videos and articles are always changing and current.
- The Bible in Spanish – For those who teach at a private school like me, this is a great Choice Homework option.
- Tú en línea – Teen magazine with celebrities, gossip, fashion and beauty.
Where to buy books for a WL classroom library
- Books for all Children
- Better World Books
- Ebay – Here is how I got 240 books for $500
- Reading A-Z
Movies & TV Shows for Spanish Class
- El Internado – This is hands down the best engaging authentic listening for Spanish class.
- Go! Vive a tu manera– cute teen show from Argentina
- The Book of Life – A new animated film about the Day of the Dead.
- Canela – A cute story of a girl & her grandma in Mexico, perfect for a unit on food.
- Vivo – Cute animated film set in Cuba and Florida
- Coco – everyone’s favorite Day of the Dead themes movie
- Which Way Home – A documentary about children traveling to the US on cargo trains. See how I used it here as a part of immigration unit.
- Sugar – A story of a Dominican baseball player who tries to make it big in the US, that goes great with a baseball unit.
- Under the Same Moon – Another great film for an immigration unit.
- Selena – A fun movie about Chicano culture.
Videos & Youtube Channels
- Sr. Jordan – great videos for students to watch out of class to explicitly teach & practice grammatical concepts
- Video Ele – tons of videos from Spain sorted by topic
- Baile viernes – because it is not Friday unless you dance
- Había una vez… Youtube channel full of classic stories read in Spanish
- Disney ¡Ajá! – Disney video clips in Spanish
- Videos – Spanish Class – a collection of my favorite videos for class
- No lo tengo – a ridiculous song that for some reason my students adore even two years later
- CGI Student Academy Award Gold Medal Winner Short Film HD: “Dia De Los Muertos” – perfect video to Movie talk Day of the Dead
- Waka Waka (Esto es Africa) – The favorite song in Spanish of almost every class is the ultimate video for a sports or World Cup unit.
- Trailers del Super Bowl en español – A great collection of current ads in Spanish
5 Human Resources that Make Me a Better Teacher
- Students – It would be pretty boring to teach in an empty room, and my students’ feedback helps to make me a better teacher.
- Face to Face Colleagues – Even as a #deptof1 in regards to world languages, these seasoned teachers at lunch can teach you SO much about classroom management by knowing each student individually at school.
- #langchat Online Colleagues – Thank you for allowing me to beg, borrow & steal all of your great ideas, as well as challenge me as a teacher.
- Blog Readers – Thank you for every comment, share, suggestion, or critique. I have come so far in these first 200 posts, and I can not wait to see what is to come!
- Family & Friends – Having someone outside of the school bubble helps to keep things in perspective and allows a break away to recharge and come back ready to go for the students.
Please share your favorite resources in the comments!