Inside: The Plate Sketch Game. A perfect holiday activity for Christmas in Spanish class.
Plate Sketch Game – Holiday Activity
If you are looking for a 20-30 minute activity that is fun, holiday related and includes Spanish input, the plate sketch game is for you! It is perfect for those short days before break, after a final, or as a part of a homeroom holiday party. 7 years ago I first used The Plate Sketch Game by Cynthia Hitz. It was the perfect day to do it since it was tacky Christmas sweater day at school. I used this Google Presentation of the activity shared by @lopezelena. Thank you Cynthia for the idea and Elena for the presentation. All you need are paper plates, markers and to read the instructions found in the links above.
Now I have learned it is best to use PAPER plates and not the Styrofoam ones I already had in my room. The markers smeared and we ended up using pen for the second class. Sharpie would probably be the best choice, but may get a little messy.
This game is a great way to use the target language, use Christmas vocabulary and have fun.
Supplies for the Plate Sketch Game:
- Cheap paper plates – enough for all students (Or you could use mini dry erase boards too)
- Thin markers, sharpies or pens
- this original Google Presentation (created by Elena Lopez)
- Or this alternate Snowman Presentatation (from Ashley Soriano)
Directions for the Plate Sketch Game
- Instruct students that once the game starts they place the pate on their head and DO NOT LOOK AT IT.
- Students draw what is described without looking.
- At the end students get “points” for having things make sense, like a star on top of the tree, etc.
- To extend it you can give awards for the best, goofiest, worst, etc. Students could present their drawing in Spanish and try to describe why their plate should “win”
If you are looking for more holiday ideas, check out these blog posts
- Winter holidays in Spanish class
- 1st Day After Winter Break for Spanish
- Holiday dance videos – baile viernes navidad
Ready To Go Holiday Resources to Save yYou Time!
- Winter Holiday Bundle
- Este descanso – Pre Winter break plans – to talk about your upcoming winter break in future tense
- Digital Slides- post Holiday Break – perfect for the Monday AFTER break
- Find Someone Who – post Holiday Break– perfect for the Monday AFTER break
- Para Empezar – Winter Holidays – infuse holiday culture this month
- Los Reyes Magos – reading – a one day Cultural reading, perfect to ease back in after winter break
- NEW French Pre-Winter Break Find Someone Who
- NEW French Post-Winter Break Find Someone Who