I am pretty excited that after Spring break Spanish II is going to start a unit centered around the novel Bianca Nieves y los 7 toritos by Carrie Toth. It will be my first time teaching the novel, so I know I will rely heavily on the awesome teacher’s guide also by Carrie. I love how many innovative ideas are included, that even have pictures and examples. If you are ever on the fence about getting a guide and wondering if they are worth it, THEY ARE WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN GOLD. My time is precious, so ready to go discussion questions and activities are my lifeline.
A week into our new quarter we will have state testing, so I want to wait until that is done to actually start the novel. It will actually work out great that we can spend some extra time on a mini unit focusing on bull fighting and Spain. I spent a semester studying in Oviedo, and summer living in Rota, Spain, so it will be fun to show my actual pictures and explain the bull fight I attended.
Bullfighting Pre Unit
My current Spanish II got a taste of bullfighting last year during unit 5 of Martina’s SOMOS curriculum, so this year I plan to expand on that. It is a mostly male class, who is all about the gory details. The tentative plan is start with a few of Elizabeth Dentlinger’s amazing resources for personalized questions, as well as learning about the bull and bull fighter. I will then share about the corrida that I attended with pictures. For a fun addition durng testing we will do the Matador Guapo video story from Spanish Cuentos, as well as dig into El Toro Ferdinando. All of the links can be found below.
- Bullfighting PQA – Sra. Dentlinger
- Toro & Torero – Sra. Dentlinger
- Traje de luces & Bullfight Thinglinks – Sra. Dentlinger
- My actual bullfighting pictures & realia
- El Matador Guapo – video from Spanish Cuentos
- El Toro Ferdinando – Kara Jacobs
I then plan to talk a bit about Spain in general, once again using pictures I have, as well as the Geography of Spain from Sra. Dentlinger.
If there is still more time, we may use some of the resources below
- La Corrida de Toros – Martina Bex
- Resources for your Corrida de Toros unit – Kara Jacobs
- Backward Planning for Bianca with a movie talk – Niki Tottingham
Bianca Nieves – ideas for during the novel
- UPDATE – My chapter by Chapter plans for Bianca
- Bianca Nieves – Subjunctive Ch1-5- Cynthia Hitz
- Now What? – A During reading activity for Ch2 – Martina Bex
- Bianca Nieves ideas – Sharon Birch
- Bianca Nieves – Pinterest Board by Carrie Toth